Hanna Andersson

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

don't you eat?

I'm supposed to be working today, not blogging, but something funny just happened to me so I thought I'd share...

I was walking home from the train station, and a woman was taking her grandson for a walk. She looked right at me and said: "don't you eat?". I stared blankly at her... so she said: "look at you, you are so skinny, don't you eat?". I must admit, I took some offense at this remark, because I do eat, and I told her so. But then I thought about what I eat, and how I don't ever have to worry about how much I eat, because the stuff I eat is never going to make me gain weight... trust me, I've tried!

So what do I eat? It's probably easier to explain what I don't eat. I never eat any dairy or wheat. I eat very little sugar, alcohol or caffeine, and I cook most of my food from scratch. Almost everything is organic, fresh, and local. I do eat meat, but it is all organic and free range. I eat fish as much as I can, but not too much, as I worry about mercury and persistent organic pollutants that hyper-accumulate up the food chain. I drink lots of water, and not much else.

I don't exercise very much... I think running around after a two year old is pretty good at keeping you fit, but I do do Pilates twice a week when I can, since I'm prone to a bad back. I also walk as much as I can, rather than driving.

Since I didn't have all day to explain this to the grandmother, I just said: "Yes, I do eat, I eat a lot, but I don't eat any dairy or wheat." And this is the advice that I would give anyone who is trying to lose weight. I stopped eating wheat 10 years ago, and I haven't been able to gain weight since then... even when I was pregnant, I gained only as much as I needed to have a healthy baby, but it all dropped back off as soon as he was born. I'm not saying this to brag, or make you jealous, but really just to say that there is a pretty simple way to lose weight, without worrying about diets or going to the gym... if you try cutting out all dairy and wheat I will be extraordinarily surprised if you don't lose weight... and you will probably have lots of other health benefits as well. I could explain all of these to you now, but sadly I haven't the time... but I will soon, I promise!

Happy eating!

No comments: